Through January 27, 2019, New Life Assembly of God will receive nominations for the office of deacon. This is a serious and spiritual process. You are encouraged to participate in it. If you are a member of New Life, you can submit an electronic or paper nomination form to the church office. Your form will be prayerfully considered by the New Life Eldership. Each nomination form will be kept confidential.
- Should not be a new convert (1 Timothy 3:6). Must be at least 23 years old and shall have been a member of New Life Assembly of God for at least six months.
- While no leader can be expected to be perfect, they should nonetheless live a life led by the Holy Spirit and this should be evident in their language, actions, and relationships (Acts 6:3).
- Should have a good reputation among those in the congregation as well as those in the community (Acts 6:3; 1 Timothy 3:8).
- Should not be divisive. Their words should be truthful and edifying to anyone inside or outside of the church (1 Timothy 3:8, Ephesians 4:29).
- Should be a faithful steward of their time, gifts, and finances. A deacon’s time should be managed to be able to lead the church in service and attendance. Their gifts should be used to strengthen the church. Their giving to the church should begin with the tithe (10% of income) and grow from there (Malachi 3:10; 1 Corinthians 16:2; 2 Corinthians 8:7; 1 Timothy 3:8).
- Should be the spiritual leader of their home and manage their family in a way that reflects the love of Christ and obedience to the word of God (1 Timothy 3:12).
- Should live a life characterized by sexual purity. If single, they must practice sexual abstinence. If married, the pattern of their married life must be one of uncompromising faithfulness to their spouse (1 Timothy 3:12).
- If married, their spouse should be faithful in their walk with God and supportive of the ministry of their spouse and the church. Their speech should be encouraging and edifying to the church (1 Timothy 3:11).
- Should be a person of self-control keeping their body clean and pure of anything that would hinder or damage the testimony of their faith and the Church (1 Timothy 3:8).
- Should be willing to serve and be recognized by others as possessing the gifts and graces necessary for the task (1 Corinthians 9:17).
- God calls deacons to serve in distinct and varying ways. A candidate should evidence the inclination and ability to fulfill that particular biblical role (1 Timothy 3:9; Acts 6:3).
- Should be able to equip and care for people spiritually and should know their way around the Bible and be able to teach it (1 Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:9).
- Should demonstrate a compassionate and caring spirit, and should be willing to serve as one under authority (Titus 1:8).
- Should believe in and promote the church’s convictions on doctrine, government, and vision (Titus 1:9).
- Finally, they should be a person who is “well respected and is full of the Spirit and wisdom” (Acts 6:3).
Here is a list of our current board of deacons: Matt Magee, Dale Teeter, Craig Butcher, Nick Howard, Marcus Meiklejohn, Kevin Gister, and Michael Graves.
The eldership will be filling two vacancies in 2019.
Craig Butcher and Dale Teeter are coming to the end of their first time and remain eligible for nomination.